Friday, May 1, 2020

Heroes Rising Fiction: The Jinn Chapter 10





Chapter 10: Jinn's Disgrace

Suddenly, Jinn was hit by a torrent of green flames. He crashed into a building, cracking the stone facade. Slightly dazed he looked up just as another blast came from the mouth of his father. Thrusting his arms together he created a barrier that deflected those flames. Stepping forward one foot at a time he pushed that endless blaze back. His father fought with all his strength in this deluge of power, but Jinn made it all the way to him and shoved the power right back in his face. The green flames exploded and Lord Dragon was the one flying back, crashing into a building.
Santa jumped back down. His hands were filled with red magic, but he did not strike just yet.
“So, it comes down to you and me.” Jinn mused.
Santa stood there, not acting yet. “You’ve done something terrible, something to give yourself greater power.”
“And here everyone believes it is my father who has all the wisdom. Good for you. Yes, I am strong, stronger than all of you.”
Santa actually smiled, “Yes. However, it was the wisdom of your father that led us to the truth.”
“And, what truth would that be?”
Just then the voice of Lady Phoenix spoke behind him, “That you have taken on your full strength in order to overthrow the nations of this young world.”
Jinn turned around and found Lady Phoenix standing there. “Mother.”
She walked toward him, “My beloved son. I have fought for you your entire life. Your strength was great, but your ambition was corrupted. I hoped beyond hope that you would take on the mantle of peace and justice that your father and I wished on you. Instead, you taint yourself with greed, and lust for power.”
Jinn softly said, “Please, mother, don’t make me harm you.”
She came right up to him, “It has always been my greatest fear that I should ever bring you harm.” Holding out her hand he took it, then he fell to his knees as pain surged through his body, “But the good of the many far outweighs a mother's desire for her son's safety.”
He pulled his hand from her, a bright light glowing from his palm, “WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?”
Cupid landed next to him and held the bottle out, “What we had to.” Cupid uncorked it and power began to flood out of Jinn.
Screams of agony filled the plaza as Jinn was drained of his magic. The others still living stood around him and watched as he writhed in pain. The disguise he wore as Sultan Ahmed the second faded and he was the Jinn. That too faded and his form returned to that which he had when he first arrived.
Once it was over, he lay there, cradling his hands to his chest. “What...have you done to me?”
Lord Dragon said, “Our only logical course of action, we have deprived you of all power. You are now no more than these humans we protect. Your life will be long, but your abilities will be no better than any other citizen of this world.”
“Cruelty! Is this your way now?” He whispered.
Lady Phoenix knelt down to him and said, “Your life was owed in response to all those you have taken. But, as your mother, I couldn’t allow that. I asked for one thing, that you could never again use your powers to harm others. This was my choice, please understand.”
Jinn looked at his mother, “Why? I loved you, mother. I would never have harmed you.”
“I know that. Which is why I spent so long allowing you to become this. I let my own motherly love blind me. Look at what you’ve become, look what you’ve done.”
Jinn closed his eyes, “You betrayed me. Of all people, I could not believe it would be you.”
She put a hand on his head, “What I have done was out of love. One day, I hope you understand.”
“I will never forget this.” He whispered.
Santa said, “You know what we must do.”
Lord Dragon nodded, “It is our only choice. Everyone stand in a circle and prepare yourselves, this may not work.”
EB hopped to his position as he said, “We’re all gonna die, this just won’t work.”
“We have to try.” Cupid said.
They took up their positions and pushed both hands forward. All focused their powers together, straining hard to cast this particular spell. A ball of energy formed and then expanded out.
A fallen wall near them rose and reformed. Then more damage repaired itself. The moon overhead moved backward and the sun rose in the west and headed eastward at a progressively faster pace. Soon, the movement of the sun and moon were so fast that each was a blur. Clouds passed quickly, rain lifted up from the ground, into the sky. People returned to the streets, moving backward as they went about their daily lives.

Jinn opened his eyes as though he were just in a deep sleep. Around him soldiers packed up tents and prepared to move.
“You! Come!” Sultan Ahmed the Second waved at Jinn.
Jinn came over, “What do you want?”
Ahmed gave off a short laugh, “You do not bow to your Sultan?”
Jinn frowned, “Not for the past two hundred years.”
“Never mind the humor. Here, take this message to the front. Get this to General Omar at once.” The sultan held out a paper.
Jinn did not take it, “Do I look like a courier. What is this?”
Ahmed grew angry, “I have about had it with your curt tongue. What is your position in my camp? You wear no armor, so I assumed you were a courier, or are you a servant?”
Jinn held back his own anger, speaking through clenched teeth, “I am neither, apparently. Just...passing through.” He left the Sultan seething at his rudeness.
Walking out of the war encampment, Jinn stood on a hill. He held out his hands to transport himself away, but nothing happened. He was powerless. Only now did he realize what truly happened. “I will never forgive them for this.”



Comments
0 Comments