Sunday, March 1, 2020

Heroes Rising Fiction: Golden Hunt Part 1


Part 1
Chase dove and tumbled across the floor. Landing in a crouched position, she threw two wooden blades. The brute dodged them as he quickly approached. With a large swing of his fist, he went for her head, but she jumped out of the way and then struck him twice in the gut and once in the face. He stumbled back, but not as far as she had anticipated. With a final kick from him, she was caught off guard and sent down
“Careful!” Chase yelled.
The Mongolian Mauler laughed and gave her a hand up. “Sorry. I’m used to sparring with heroes who can take a hit.”
Chase rubbed her side, “I can take a hit...well, to a point. Maybe I should accept that energy-absorbing bodysuit Nova talked about.”
The Mauler nodded, “Couldn’t hurt. If you plan on getting in fights with other superhumans, you will need a better advantage. However, you did well this time. So, another round of training?”
“No. Three hours this morning is enough. Maybe later.”
“I don't mind training you, but I thought you were Nova’s secretary or something like that.”
She shot him a look sharper than her blades, “I’m not his secretary. I’m his assistant. I don’t file things and deliver memos.”
He held his hands up, “all right, assistant. But, does he expect you to fight?”
“In this job, everyone needs to be ready for a fight.”
“True.”
Chase glanced at the large man, “Say, do you know what Nova’s powers are?”
“Not really. I wasn’t even clear if he had any.”
“I don’t know. At first glance, I’d say he doesn’t have any. But, I suspect there is more to that old codger than...” Both stopped as they saw Nova standing in the doorway of the training room. Chase cleared her throat, “I...uh...meant,”
“Chase, meeting room. Mauler, head back to your league.”
The Mauler left out another door while Chase followed Nova.
There was a long silence between them. Chase finally got up the nerve to say, “Sir, I was just kidding about calling you a codger. I...”
“The answer is yes.”
“What?”
“Yes, I have powers. More than one, if that matters. However, I will not tell you what they are. Being who I am means there’s a lot about me that must stay secret.”
“Oh...okay.” This only made the curiosity that much more painful on her mind.
***

They entered the conference room of BADGE where a large circular table waited with seats all around. Gar spoke with another winged man. Seated on the other side of the table, with his back to Chase, was a mostly canine man.
Nova rounded the table to his chair and then pointed next to the dog-man, “Chase, take your seat.”
She walked over and sat down, instantly jerking and leaning away as the dog-man sniffed her. He stuck out his hand...paw, and said in a British accent, “Hi, I’m Fleagle.”
“Uh, hello. Chase.”
Nova said, “And, this is Gamma Ray.” he gestured toward the other man.
“Hey there.”
“Enough introductions. We have a situation.” Nova turned on the tables holo-imager. A fuzzy representation of the dark-hooded man appeared, “It has been two weeks since the incident in Paris, and we are no closer to finding evidence on who or what this enemy is. That he escaped is bad, but he indicated that his plans are still in motion. He, alone, was able to take on hundreds of heroes at once and escape nearly unscathed.”
“What do you need us to do?” Gamma Ray asked.
Nova changed the projection to show the entire planet. “Cupid and Santa Claus have given BADGE information about others of their kind hidden on Earth. If this man is after their power, then he will probably strike again. I’m sending you out there to warn these individuals of the risk.”
Chase asked, “Wouldn’t they already know of the risk?”
“From what Cupid said, these people have remained isolated from each other for centuries. Their connection to the human world is thin. Yes, they might know of the risk, but we cannot gamble on that. We have to be certain. Gar, Gamma, head toward our BADGE location in Tokyo, from there you will head to the hiding place of the Dragon and Phoenix.” He slid a computer tablet over to them.
“Understood,” Gar answered.
Nova then slid a tablet over to Chase, “Chase, Fleagle, head to BADGE’s London office and then find the Leprechaun.”
Chase paused in her reach for the tablet, “The...what?”
“You heard me.”
She finished picking up the tablet, “all right.”
“Okay people, get moving.”
Gar and Gamma both headed out, each talking about how fast the other could fly. Fleagle bounded off out the door.
Chase stopped Nova before leaving, “Why send me with the dog? I can handle something like this alone. I work better alone.”
“First, I need you to break yourself of that solitary attitude. Teamwork is important to BADGE.”
“Says the man who works primarily with robots and a statue.”
Nova finished his thought, “Second, Fleagle is from that part of the world and knows it well. He has great tracking skills.”
“Fine. I can deal with this.”
Nova held her arm before she left, “Just be warned, Fleagle can take some getting used to. He’s...not all human.”
“I can tell.”
Nova walked out before her and instantly yelled, “FLEAGLE! I TOLD YOU, WE HAVE BATHROOMS!”

Comments
0 Comments