Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Heroes Rising Fiction: Golden hunt part 11


Part 11

Chase walked in a circle around the barrier holding her inside with Justin and Fleagle. She couldn’t come up with any ideas about how to escape. Justin had already attempted to dig under the barrier, but the ground was too hard to get through with their tiny hands. Besides, Chase highly doubted that circumventing this barrier would be so easy. Fleagle peed on it, and that did no good.
“I’m not giving up.”
“What was that?” Justin asked.
Chase huffed, “I said I’m not giving up. I can figure a way out of here.”
“I don’t think so. We’re stuck.” Fleagle said.
Chase turned and stared at the barrier, or really the air where it invisibly waited. “I have broken out of the most secure prisons on this planet. I have broken into the highest security sealed vaults and museums ever constructed. I was never caught and never stumped. I can do this.”
“This isn’t human technology, Chase,” Justin said.
“I know.”
Fleagle asked, “So, who do you think it is?”
Chase turned, “What?”
“The Leprechaun said someone at BADGE is one of their people. Who do you think it is?”
“I...don’t know. BADGE doesn’t have a large staff since they outsource to all the heroes and leagues. So, there aren’t many people involved.”
“My guess,” Fleagle said, “It’s Quark.”
“No, it can’t be.” Justin said, “I have read his files. He isn’t human, but he isn’t one of these things. He is...something else. No, if I had a guess. It’s Nova.”
Chase turned and gave him a strange look, “Director Nova?”
Justin nodded, “Think about it. He’s been around longer than anyone can remember. He hasn’t changed since the earliest photos taken of him I’ve seen. He keeps secrets that no one on this planet knows. And, it is believed he has powers, though no one has confirmed them yet.”
Chase said, “He confirmed that to me. He has powers. I don’t know what his powers are. But, he admitted he has them.”
“Really!” Justin asked, “He confided that to you?”
“Yes, he...wait, I hear something.”
They could all hear the Leprechauns voice. He spoke with that hooded man in another room. Chase pointed at Fleagle and gave him a quick direction with her hands and eyes. He ran over to the barrier and turned his head so that one ear was listening. Of the three, he could hear the best.
The Leprechaun said. “This is taxing my abilities. Why did you have me create the barrier out there around the crock? Don’t we WANT the heroes to put the coins back in?”
The Hooded man slyly answered, “There’s a lot at stake here. I have to deal with them as a whole once and for all. I thought Cupid would put them down, but that damned girl bested my plans. If they put the coins in too early, they will leave. I want urgency, I want them standing around it all at once. Then, when they finish, hundreds, maybe thousands of heroes will perish. Thus, you must keep it going for now. Everything is going according to plan.” the Hooded Man responded.
“My power is highly diminished with your plan. I was already split by putting most of my strength in that crock. Now that you had me put almost all I have left in those gold coins, I’m weak. Keeping both barriers active is pushing me.”
“I know what you are dealing with. Patience is the key to this plan. We need those heroes here when you set it off.”
The Leprechaun said, “I don’t care about your plan. I don’t have the issues with the heroes like you. I just want to blow this country off the map. Let me set off the crock now and leave this place a smoking hole.”
“You will follow my plan.” The hooded man casually answered.
“Why? This is my power you’re playing with. What gives you the right to tell me what to do?”
“I showed you how to put your remaining power into the coins. I’m the one who explained how destroying the crock will return your power back to you. I have provided the knowledge you desired, you owe me.”
The Leprechaun sourly answered, “You were always conniving. I hardly trust you. But, you haven’t led me astray yet. However, if I end this now, it’s my choice. There isn’t any loyalty between us, just an understanding. Don’t get pushy.”
The Hooded Man laughed, “You haven’t the power yet. Since you sent your magic out with the coins, you can’t blow up the crock. Not yet.”
“Fine. But, understand this, Jinn, the moment I have enough power back in that crock, it goes off. Even if the heroes aren’t gathered. I’ll get my power back, and then I leave. You can deal with the mess.”
Fleagle stood back, a bit dumbfounded, “They just walked away. I can’t hear any more. But, I heard enough.”
Chase asked, “Well?”
He turned to them, fear in his eyes, “They will blow up that crock of gold and...destroy this entire country.”
“But, the heroes are coming,” Justin said.
“Precisely.” Fleagle dryly said, “That’s the point. It’s a trap.”
“No more chit-chat, we have to find a way out of here. Fleagle, dig for all your worth. Justin, search any of the items we have inside here.”
“It’s just crafting stuff. Buttons, thread...”
“I don’t care. See what we have.” Chase ordered. “Our lives and the lives of millions of citizens and heroes are on the line and only we can save them.”

Comments
0 Comments