Monday, April 13, 2020

Heroes Rising Fiction: Hopping Heroes part 6


Chase smiled, “Looks like the heroes did it. The egg has been broken and the power signature is gone. Breaking the egg broke the...whatever...created it.”
EB hopped up to the table next to her, “It’s called a spell. At least that’s the closet human term.”
Nova checked his reports, “Good. I’ll send the order to return to the search.”
EB hopped around Nova, “Well, since that’s over. Let’s watch a movie, make some popcorn, have some candy. I have this great cinnamon gummy that you’re gonna love. Oh, oh, oh, and I just invented this new hot chocolate.”
Nova grabbed EB by the ears again, “This is not recreation center!”
EB said, “I know that, silly. But you’re so stressed. Relax, have some fun. Sheesh.”
Chase said, “He has a point.” The look she got from Nova could cut steel.
Nova held EB up to his face, those red veins in his eyes about to burst. However, before he could yell at this creature again, EB asked, “Where’s the john? I really gotta drop some pellets.”
Nova tossed him back toward the table, and Chase directed him out of the room. After he left, she came back to Nova.
He’s certainly energetic.”
He’s annoying.”
He means well,” Chase said.
Nova huffed, “He’s an accident-prone, gibbering, foolish creature. He hasn’t changed since I first met him.” He gave Chase almost a smile, “But, he is one of the kindest. He is worth more money than most of the richest humans on Earth, and he gives it all away. I can’t fault that.”
Really?”
Nova nodded, “His wealth is spread out into charities that would otherwise not exist. Millions of people are helped daily because of him, and that’s pretty impressive.”
So, you do like him.” Chase teased.
Let’s just say I tolerate him more than I let him know.”
Chase laughed and then looked at the standard world map on the monitor. “Sir, I don’t know why, but I’m a little confused.”
About what?”
I expected some disaster, some calamity to come. Every legendary figure we’ve dealt with has ended in something terrible happening. This just doesn’t feel right.”
Nova looked at the screen, “Truth is, this is bad.”
Bad? Why?”
He said, “This means our enemy is planning, working on something big, something that will take time. So far he has always succeeded in his machinations. I cannot believe that this quiet is due to his inability to move, to operate.”
Chase shrugged, “What if EB stymied his plans by coming here before our enemy could find him?”
No. I suspect EB was never part of his plans. His plans are still in motion and we’re still in the dark.”
Chase smiled, “One good thing has happened.”
What?”
It’s been more than a minute since EB left the room and nothing has...”
They both heard a giant crash from down the corridor.
Nova put his face in his palm, “Go, see what he broke. Then use all the tape we have and stick him to a wall.”
***
Chase found EB and a large potted plant, a medical cart, and two robots, all in a pile. He was trying to help clean up.
Sorry. I didn’t mean to.” He said.
Chase took him by the hand and led him away, “The robots will clean it up.”
I really don’t mean to be so clumsy. I just get excited and don’t think. It was like this back on my homeworld. People didn’t much like being around me. I know Nova doesn’t like me much either.”
Chase knelt, “I like you.”
You do?”
Yes. You are a bit...excitable, and accident-prone, but you mean well. And Nova doesn’t hate you, he’s just not the friendliest person I know.”
I’ve known him for a long time, he’s always been a bit of a stick-in-the-mud.”
Chase quietly asked, “I was wondering something. You know about this Jinn and even stuff about Nova. I know almost nothing. Can you help me out?”
Sure, but I don’t know what Jinn is up to.”
I know, but you knew him in the past. That might help me figure him out. I’m good at that.”
EB grinned big, “Sure, I’d love to. We can get Nova in on this. He...”
No, let’s just talk between us. I don’t think he’d let you tell me everything.”
Oh, okay. Sure.” He hopped his way down the hall toward an empty room, “I knew Jinn pretty well before we came to this planet. But after he went to the Arab lands, we lost contact. Nova had more contact with him. The last time Nova and I had any dealings with Jinn was about three...no four...wait, it was three hundred years ago.”
Chase stopped, her eyes bugging, “Say...what?”

To Be Continued…..



Comments
0 Comments