Sunday, October 1, 2023

Heroes Rising Fiction: World Eater Part 1

 


A fresh wind blew around Torrik and EB as they stood out on a ledge overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. Five BADGE shuttles flew in patterns around them while BADGE boats moved across the surface.

"I don't like this," Torrik muttered.

EB hopped around him, "Oh, don't be such a downer. We finally beat her to the prize. No big battles. No big tidal waves...nuthin!"

Torrik smiled, "Remember, I was the one who caused the surge in your ocean around the Eye of the Hydra."

EB stopped hopping, "Oh, right. Bout that, It was a magnificent spell, but you totally almost caused some serious harm to people."

Torrik walked away, heading for a path down to the beach. "I hoped to catch Lady Echidna in the spell, not your people. However, I'm sorry that I didn't realize I would put so many innocents in harms way."

EB brightened up, "No one was really hurt, so alls well that ends well I suppose."

They both walked out onto a beach where an encampment of BADGE tents were arranged. Computer equipment was strewn about with people analyzing the data of all the deep water scans.

EB hopped around, a silly grin on his face as he looked at all the amazing work. One of the scientist operating the system walked over and patiently waited. Torrik watched EB for a moment and then looked up at the scientist who quietly waited.

Torrik asked, "Do you have anything to report?"

The scientist watched EB and then said, "Yes, but protocol says I'm supposed to report to the highest ranking BADGE officer. Technically... that's EB."

EB stopped and his eyes went wide, "Oh, right! Oops. Not used to that. So, uh, sure, whatcha got?"

The scientist held up a computer tablet and showed them several read outs, "Dr. Morphosis has continued scanning this area with the help from Strange Quark. We're picking up minor energy readings, almost undetectable. However, if I'm looking at this correctly, they match the same readings as the other known items, the Eye of Fenrir and the Eye of the Hydra."

Torrik pointed at the tablet, "Does that magic mirror tell us where to find the item?"

"Magic mirror?" The scientist frowned.

EB said, "That's his way of asking if you can find it with the computer."

"Oh. Uh, no. But, it's a lead. We have several heroes who can handle the water pressure working down there to check for us. We could use more help."

"I can't breathe under water," EB said.

"What about Gar?" The scientist asked. "His body can handle any pressures."

EB said, "Ain't nuthin in this world gonna get Gar under water, especially this sea. He spent a LOOONG time down there and really, really hates it."

Torrik said, "Work with what you have. So far, we haven't had any sign of Lady Echidna or Master Nova. We have to get to this before they know we have an idea where it is."

"Will do." The scientist said.

"Hey, I'm the bunny in charge, I give orders. So... do what he said."

"Sure." The scientist returned to his computers and sent several messages down to the people under the water.

Torrik asked, "What is Gar? He is full of magic, and looks like a stone golem... but I've never seen a golem with personality. They're pretty mundane creatures. He's strange."

"It's a long story, which I'll be glad to tell you. But, you gotta know one thing, he hates being under water. I mean, really hates it. So, I told him he could help Justin while I'm out here with you looking for the next thingy."


A smaller than usual crowd gathered around the town square of Ka'an Dorado. A giant Krampus ghost lurched back, staggered for a moment, and then rushed forward after having been punched right in the face. Two large, green scaly arms wrapped around his neck and grabbed him. With a body throw worthy of any pro-wrestling star, Midgard tossed Krampus over himself, and slammed him head-first into the ground. The impact caused the giant monster to explode into a cloud of black mist.

Heroes and civilian spectators alike cheered and exchanged money. Midgard ripped free a large sail he had used as a blind fold and waved it around.

"NO EYES AND I STILL BEAT HIM!!! WHAT NEXT!!!"

People yelled out suggestions and argued about what challenge they would pose to him this time. He had defeated this shadow of Krampus so many times he had turned to handicapping himself to keep it interesting. Basking in the glory of all the applause only made it sweeter.

Gar flew in and landed on a taller roof nearest Midgar's face. "Midgard!"

Midgard wasn't listening, he still enjoyed the accolades of glory from the people below.

"MIDGARD!" Gar yelled louder.

This time it was obvious that Midgard was ignoring him. "So, what will it be? Hand behind back? Tail tied to leg?" More suggestions were thrown at him. "No! I am not shrinking down, it's no fun that way!"

"MIDGARDSORMR!!!" Gar yelled.

Midgard turned and glared at him with his giant, serpentine face. "WHAT IS IT, STONE BRAINS? I'M BUSY!"

Gar was hardly intimidated. "Justin needs you."

"I'm not Justin's errand boy! I'm having fun. Go away!" He turned to continue taking suggestions from the crowd.

Gar flew up and got right in Midgard's face, flapping his wings to keep aloft. "This is important. It's about Lady Echidna!"

"Gah! Can't you people deal with that fashionista bitch! I'm busy!"

"Do you want to help Nova or not!"

Midgard's left eye twitched and he finally said, "Fine. Ruin my fun."

"You can come back later."

Midgard let out a heavy sigh, which was a gale of wind in Gar's face. "Let's go."

The shadow of Krampus reformed again since Midgard was standing in the square. Midgard waved a massive claw in the air. "You people deal with this one, BADGE needs me."

The jovial crowds scrambled to evade the enemy as they were now the focus of this monster. Their champion was no longer there to protect them.

Midgard snickered as he shrunk down enough to fit into the BADGE shuttle, "They lost their lust for combat when it's their necks on the line."


The ocean of black twinkled alive with stars and planets while the moon waded through the silent stillness. Torrik sat on the beach and watched the heavens while the BADGE tents remained active with people analyzing the incoming data.

EB came over and held up a box. "Dinner."

"Set it here." Torrik gestured toward the ground next to him.

EB set the food down and then sat in the sand. "Whatcha look'n at?"

"Your stars. They're so different than mine."

EB nodded, "I know the feeling."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not of this world, remember? It has been centuries since I was on Vexilia, but it was my home for a long time. I watched the stars above and our five moons as well. I loved the night skies. When we came here, it all changed. One moon, different stars. It's hard to imagine that the thousands of stars above could actually look so different, but they do."

Torrik smiled at EB, "That is the most mature thing you've said to me since I met you, if you don't mind my saying."

"I don't mind. I can be silly. And I don't care. I like to talk. It gets me in trouble, but people forgive me since I'm cute and fluffy. Seriously, this one time I totally ticked off Chase because I was talking about her outfit and how it made her chest look so sexy. She chased me into the arboretum and was going to stick me with a knife, right in the butt. But, I just gave her my best bunny eyes, wiggled my nose, twitched my tail, and she was nougat in my hands. Gave me this great idea of a Valentines candy made with nougat that is for the person who forgot Valentines Day, I called it my post Valentines forgive-me-nows."

"And, you are right back to silly." Torrik said.

"It's my lot in life. Now, I can be deadly serious, this one time... "

A giant blue and yellow eel jumped out of the water. It had a mans torso and head. Halfway to the ground, he transformed into a full man with bright red briefs as his only clothing.

"Dr. Morphosis?" EB jumped up.

The man rushed over, "We found something!"

Comments
0 Comments