Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Answering the Call: RAID in Onnotangu (Fan Fiction)

By Chained Angel

    “What do you think?” Angel asked. She craned her neck so she could get a better view in the mirror. “Should I stick with my silver body armor or go with a sportier look?”

    “I think you look fine in either.” Prysmatica studied her companion’s new outfit. “Are you going for general intimidation against a foe or something photo-ready, highlighting your… assets?”

    “Can’t I have both?” Chained Angel dropped her wings from their full extension, allowing them to cover a majority of her back and lower body. “These wings are glorious, but god love them, they are so hard to accessorize.”

    Prysmatica spun a rack of designer sunglasses. She picked up a bold pair with bright blue lenses and tried them on. After inspecting how they sat on her nose in the mirror, she turned to Angel and gave her a playful grin as she raised an eyebrow. “You know, I think I heard Eros make the exact same comment about his.”

    Chained Angel nodded and gave a polite golf-clap. “Very nice. They suit you. I wish I could pull off such bold colors as you.”

    “It’s a gift,” Prysmatica replied. In her own super-hero costume, every hue of the spectrum had a place. Gloss-red boots, form fitting green leggings with an equally body-hugging top, purple skirt and cape, all topped by a luminescent sky-blue cascade of hair. A cut-out over her midriff exposed stylistic tattoos from her Greek heritage, completing her fashion-week look.

    From their BADGE communication devices, an IA (Immediate Action) alert sounded. Prysmatica grabbed hers from her belt and read the message aloud. “Nova to all Heroes, we have a class five attack in North Onnotangu. All travel restrictions to this country are lifted. Get here, NOW!

    “Well, there goes our day off,” Chained Angel said as she moved into a changing booth. “Time to go meet the rest of the team.”

*****

    At the Star Force Observatory, the team assembled, including three new members: Dawnstar, Lightning R.A.D., and Dark Megalodon. One member, the Star Force team leader, was strangely absent.

    “Where’s Starmaster?” Wyldfyre asked. “How do we plan on getting there without him? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I won’t mind not being teleported through that Mindscape of his.” Wyldfyre shudders. “If it doesn’t make me vomit, I think I come out with memories that aren’t mine.”

    “I brought a BADGE shuttle I’ve requisitioned.” Catalyst replied. “No need to vomit, but if you do, you clean it up.”

    “I wonder if this urgent call has anything to do with the mission BADGE called him out to?” Chained Angel wondered aloud. “I hope he’s alright.”

    The gathered team shared a brief moment of silence and concerned glances.

    “Eh, he’s fine,” Wyldfyre said. “When he’s inside that suit of his, and with the gear he carries in that Mental Closet thing, it would take a small army to hurt him.”

    “That’s if his mission let him use them,” Chained Angel said. “From the brief message he sent me before he left, it was a covert mission.”

    “The sooner we go, the faster we will have our answers.” The Infinite Tempest stood, electricity crackling around his fists.

    “You fly outside the shuttle, I.T.” Catalyst barked. “You have habit of ‘accidently’ frying computer systems. I don’t want to crash.”

    The Infinite Tempest waved a hand dismissively at Catalyst’s objections. “Why would I care to travel in your tiny ship when I can be one with the sky and bathe in the currents of the air itself.”

    A light flashed from their headquarters’ communication array.

    “What now?” El Rey asked. The Unstoppable Nightmask and HowlingMoon shrugged.

    Catalyst moved to the Observatories main computer. “It’s Chaz Hamilton. He wants to know if he can get a ride with us to cover the emergency for the Sentinel.”

    Chained Angel looked at Prysmatica. “He’s done right by us lately, but I understand it would put you in a complicated position. It’s up to you.”

    Prysmatica nodded. She wasn’t ready to risk her co-worker recognizing her in her super-hero identity but didn’t want to deny him an important career opportunity. “Take him. I’ll go photon and fly there with Tempest.”

    “OK, tell Chaz well pick him up,” Chained Angel led the team out of the room. “North Onnotangu, here we come!”
Comments
0 Comments