Friday, August 7, 2020

Heroes Rising Fiction: A New Darkness Part 3


Skelanimal knelt before a stone slab in a dimly lit cave. All around him were various bits of technology, some human, some alien. Monitors displayed data from news sources while sensor devices continually beeped as they scanned.

He reached over and flicked a switch, a small device on the stone slab lit up. A plate began to glow, which filled the shard of red stone with light. He fussed with the device for a moment and then let out an annoyed huff.

“This thing’s annoying,” He muttered.

A growling voice behind him said, “You’re using it wrong.”

Skelanimal snarled. “I know how to use Legion technology.”

“With your limited education and lack of understanding advanced technology, you won’t get too far messing around with this.”

“Fine!” Skelanimal stepped back.

Krampus reached over and reactivated the device, this time the red shard lifting and emitting its own glow. “See, simple enough.”

“Shut up. At least I got another shard today.” Skelanimal placed another ruby piece on the plate.

Krampus leaned forward and looked at a read-out, “this isn’t enough power. We will need a lot more to make the plan work.”

“It’s not ‘the plan’...it’s my plan. And it’ll work just fine, we need a few more.”

Krampus walked away, “A LOT more. I doubt this will work without all of them.”

Skelanimal turned off the energy emitter and walked over to a large chair with several components attached to it. “My concern is making sure this works.”

“That won’t be necessary unless we get the rest of the shards.” Krampus activated a monitor that displayed the world map. Two locations had marks on them, Russian and Argentina. “What’s this?” he touched the Argentina marker and expanded a video, which displayed a news report. “WHAT DID YOU DO?”

Skelanimal huffed, “what I needed to. I got the shard, that’s all that matters.”

“DO YOU WANT BADGE ON US? DO YOU WANT THE HEROES HUNTING US DOWN?”

“I don’t care about BADGE or their Heroes. They’ve captured me before, and here I am.”

Krampus growled as he watched the different news stations showing the disaster. “You are a fool, Skelanimal.”

Skelanimal walked over and turned off the monitor, then reached up and grabbed Krampus by the tuft of beard on his chin. He yanked his face down and said, “I am in charge here. I will do this however I see fit. If you don’t want me to freeze your ass back in Santa’s little prison, you will stop insulting me. Got it?”

Krampus let out a harsh growl, but then said, “yes.”

Skelanimal let go of the beard and said, “now, let’s scan and see if anyone else is talking about these rare shards?”

Krampus turned on the monitor and scanned Earth’s airwaves for information. Several dots appeared. One in North America, one in London, and one in Beijing. He worked the controls and programmed in the parameters to gather all the available data.

Skelanimal stretched his body out, “I loved blowing that place up. I think I’ll do it again. Where’s my next target?”

Krampus calmly said, “how about I get this. I can shape-shift.”

“Not good. Your people can sense you coming.”

Krampus grumbled, “they wouldn’t be looking for me if you hadn’t made such a mess.”

“What was that?”

“Nothing. I have a better idea, though.”

Skelanimal grew angry, “I’m supposed to be the one with ideas here!”

“Sure you are. Just listen. You are right, my people will be searching for me, Santa has been on our tail since he discovered I was missing. Now that you blew up a museum, BADGE will search for any sign of a villain. What we need is someone good at stealing and won’t alert them.”

“Who? Another villain?”

“No. I have a better idea. We get a hero and then test our little device over there and turn them to our side. Use them to hunt the ruby shards down.”

Skelanimal actually smiled, or at least his approximation of one. “Who?”

Krampus grinned with those hideous fangs and pressed a button. “Her.” On the screen was the official BADGE image of Chase.

“Maybe. But we still have a few locations we can check out. Easy targets. Why don’t you go to Astrila.”

“Australia.”

“Whatever. Grab that shard while I come up with a plan to snatch her.”

***

“Why are we doing this?” Chase moaned as she checked her tightly kept hair.

Nova stood next to her, looking at a mirror. He wore a tuxedo while she was in a long, narrow, red sequined gown. He answered, “Part of the agreement about this base was to host an opening event where all the nations helping pay for this get to see it and be thanked. These dignitaries love to be praised for giving away tax money.”

She helped straighten his bow tie. “I would think you’d hate something like this.”

“I do. Waste of time and, frankly, I don’t enjoy being seen too often. But, without the money, BADGE wouldn’t operate and this world needs this place.”

Quark came in, dressed in a glowing blue tuxedo. “Everyone decent in here?”

Nova checked his cufflinks. “Yes.”

“It’s about to start. Ambassador Hoturi arrived and is waiting.”

Gar came into the room. He had a bow tie on and his shorts. “I am ready.”

Nova rolled his one eye. “Gar, I told you to dress for this.”

“I tried. The tailor bot couldn’t make a formal outfit to suit my wings in time. So, it gave me this tie thing.”

Quark laughed. “You look like you're part of the entertainment.”

“What?” Gar asked.

Nova huffed, “Don’t worry. Take the tie off and just come dressed as you would normally. Let’s go.” He walked on with Quark out of the room.

Gar took off the tie and then looked at Chase. “You are pretty.”

“Thanks. I normally wore this to mix into classy parties where I would pilfer expensive jewelry.”

Gar became deadly serious. “Don’t steal jewelry tonight.”

She laughed and walked onward, “no promises.”


Nova stood before the gathered dignitaries and several heroes. He gave a long speech about the new facility and thanked all the nations who provided funding. There was an official ribbon cutting and then the party began. The whole time several major media outlets mingled with the people and interviewed whoever will get in front of the camera, which meant most of the politicians took up their time.

Nova shook hands with people all night while Chase was at his side. She wasn’t arm candy, though to most it appeared that way.

“So, Chase, is it?” Ambassador Hardgrove asked.

“Yes.”

“I feel I have met you before, you do seem familiar.”

She held Nova’s arm and laughed as she recalled, “Oh, you and I met once in New York, during that fundraiser for the Governors reelection.”

“Ah, yes. That was the dreadful night that my wife lost the antique emerald necklace.”

“Oh, that’s right. There were a lot of thefts that night.” Chase feigned concern.

He waved at another person, “Yes, well, I must speak with the Prime Minister of Franistan. Good evening, Chase, Director.”

Nova walked with her. “Emerald Necklace?”

Chase sipped her champagne, “A quarter of a million-dollar necklace to be precise.”

An ambassador approached and gave a customary bow to them. "Director Nova. It is good to see you again."

"Ambassador Hoturi, likewise. I must thank you for helping us establish those Fight clubs in South Onnotangu."

The Ambassador nodded his head. "My government feels cooperation with BADGE benefits us all. After the Jinn incident, it has become paramount we see to it that heroes are trained and ready."

Nova asked, "Have you been able to open any sort of negotiations with North Onnotangu about cooperating with the BADGE agreement?"

Hoturi gave a sorrowful shake of his head. "Sorry. We attempted such negotiations, but they were all in vain."

Nova said, "At least you can help provide us all details about that country. I won't send in spies any longer. Several have not made it out alive."

"South Onnotangu is more than happy to help. Now, if you would excuse me." The polite man bowed again and left.

Chase asked, "What was that about?"

"Later."

“Director!” A woman approached.

Nova greeted her, “Sword of Gerraxia, I didn’t know you would be here.”

She said, “I just arrived with Santa.”

“Santa?”

Suddenly a white blur dashed through the crowd and stopped in front of Chase. EB tapped his foot against the ground, “hubba hubba, you are smokin tonight.”

Nova said, “EB, you shouldn’t be...”

Just then there was a commotion in the crowds, people gasped and snapped pictures. Both Nova and Chase were concerned, which was quickly answered by the sight of Santa moving through.

“Santa, what are you doing up here?” Nova was noticeably annoyed.

Santa said, “We need to talk.”


Comments
0 Comments