Sunday, March 6, 2022

League War 12 Fan-Fiction: Inquisition Intervention

 


by Madam Marvelous
#26130

Part One: Power Lunch

I picked at my plate of enchiladas Verdes as I sat at the table nearest to the observation window that looked out at the small blue marble I called home. I never expect to be aboard the BADGE Stellar Arena, fighting in League War 12 as the world below us, and the people like us on it, struggled. I felt as if we were in hiding, afraid of what could happen rather than facing the growing threat and fighting it like I would an opponent during a battle round.

And I wasn’t alone in that thought. I could hear other heroes talking around me, concerned about what was happening to their friends, families, and the other Morphon-enhanced people who were being gathered by the World Corps for “questioning”. If they wanted to question people, why not do it over the phone or on Zoom like normal people? Going door-to-door and insisting people leave their homes and go with them to undisclosed locations wasn’t questioning. It was kidnapping.

I felt as slimy as the green sauce covering the rolled flour tortillas on my lunch plate. If my parents hadn’t insisted I come up here to fight, I wouldn’t have come.

Yeah, that’s right. My parents made me go to league war. They said I couldn’t not go and let my league down, but I knew the truth. There were plenty of stories on the news about the anti-morphonic weapons the World Corps had. I’d seen them use them in Washington D.C. against the three invaders who attacked the city, claiming to be heroes. My parents were afraid of one of those weapons being used on me, so getting me off the planet would keep me safe.

Well, as safe as anyone could be when going into three rounds of battle against other powered heroes. I don’t think anyone going into a fight with Midgardsormr, or any number of other combatants currently fighting in matches, as safe.

“Great last round, Mad Marv,” Wyldfyre said as he approached my table. “You guys were one of the ten leagues that didn’t lose a match. Why couldn’t you all fight like that while I was on the team.”

I huffed at his insinuation. “Hey! That’s not fair. We fought just as hard when you were—”

He raised his hand up as he smirked in response to my reaction. “Just busting your chops. Why is everyone so serious all the sudden? Do you mind if I sit here with you? Me and a buddy, actually. He’s meeting me here for lunch.”

“That’s fine,” I said, placing my napkin over my food and standing up from my seat. “I’m done anyways.”

“Hold on a minute,” Wyldfyre said as he sat opposite of me. “We wanted to talk to you for a minute.”

I cocked my head as I settled back into my chair. “Me? Really? Why?”

“Hold your horses until he gets here. It’s better if he explains.” Wyldfyre picked up a skewer full of chicken, pineapple and veggies coated with a sticky glaze. He took a bite and closed his eyes while smiling happily. “Ummmm. Just like Mom used to make.”

I watched him devour two such skewers before Starmaster walked up to the table. “Sorry I’m late. I had a meeting with some of the Avengers51 about next round. We’re going up against the SOB Hunter/Killer league next round. We’re hopeful for a good match.”

“Which means you plan on grinding their faces into the floor, right?” Wyldfyre said as Starmaster slid into the seat beside him. “Did you see who we were going up against?”

“The A Team,” Starmaster replied.

“We just beat them in Round One,” I said, wanting to be part of the conversation. “They weren’t giving us their A game. How did you do last round, Wyldfyre?”

“Hardy, har, har, har,” Wyldfyre sneered at me playfully. “You know we lost to the BORG. I’m sure Ace had a good laugh at our expense. We were this close to overtaking them in the last hour but couldn’t get past the defensive wins we gave them earlier in the day.”

Wyldfyre moved from the Star Force: Junior League this LW to join L.U.S.H., or the Legion of Unusual Super Heroes, as part of our combined efforts to play the numbers game and get better divisional placement. The plan worked well in some ways. We had managed to slide into the sweet spot where we wouldn’t have to face PAIN or Suffering, but we potentially might have had to face one another. With them losing Round One, fortunately it wouldn’t be an issue going forward. Emboldened by that, I batted my eyes at Wyldfyre. “We’ll take them down in Round Two for you. We won’t have any problem bringing on the heat.”

Starmaster chuckled as Wyldfyre nearly choked on a piece of pineapple he had been chewing. After coughing into his napkin a few times, he cleared his throat and took a drink from his bottle of beer. “I deserved that one. I’m glad you’re getting better at your banter, Marv. A memorable hero needs snappy comebacks. Look at Slayer B.A.S. Her zingers are top notch. And Hanzo. He could teach a Masterclass on witty repartee.”

Bits of food disappeared in small portions from Starmaster’s plate. I looked at him and could see his chin move as he chewed beneath his mask. Having a secret identity of my own to protect, I understood his need to hide his identity, but couldn’t imagine teleporting my lunch into my mouth to avoid having my face seen. Being a shapeshifter definitely had its advantages. “What did you want to talk to me about?”

“Do you have any plans between rounds?” Starmaster asked.

“I want to watch some of Midgardsormr’s matches and hoped to talk to him one-on-one if he has time. We had a scheduling hiccup for visiting the WMD training area he invited the league to. We were trying to get everyone’s schedules aligned to go, but the rapid call we got from Director Nova didn’t give us a chance to take advantage of his invitation. He’s a bit miffed at Infinite Tempest—”

“Midgardsormr doesn’t get miffed,” Wyldfyre said while rubbing his jaw tenderly. “He gets physical.”

I winced at the comment. “He’s always been nice to me. Ever since my first league war, he’s been a great friend and mentor.”

“Not everyone has managed to stay on his good side,” Starmaster said flatly. “If you can manage to stay there, you probably have the greatest power of any of us.”

Wyldfyre nodded. I couldn’t help but laugh at the rare sincere look on his face.

“Well, after I do that and answer some questions he had about the celebration bash after Round 3, I should have some free time, unless he wants to train for a bit. I should be available by this evening,” I said, continuing my answer to my original line of thought.

Starmaster held up a finger for a moment before finishing his mouthful. “I’m sure you know about what is going up on Earth below us with the World Corp. BADGE is doing its best to handle the situation, but I… we and a few others... need to do something to help the situation.”

I sat up straighter in my chair. “What do you need? I want to help do whatever I can.”

to be continued...

Comments
0 Comments