Sunday, June 20, 2021

Heroes Rising Fiction: A Hollywood Ending Part 6


The map of the world still covered the large monitor at BADGE with the sensor readings showing. They had three dots left, one moving extremely fast. Dr. Stone worked from a station to monitor the situation.

“Director, I still cannot find the fourth dot. After that one vanished, it is just… gone.”

Nova stroked his beard as he scowled. “Did you see which direction it went?”

“That’s the odd part. We saw that dot in the middle of the Atlantic and it moved slightly at one point, then it disappeared. Right there, in the middle of the ocean.”

“Head down to lab seventy. All of our Morphon related studies are conducted there. I want to know if a dead body that had morphons in it loses it’s morphonic signature after death.”

“I’m not sure if I can determine that.” Stone said.

“See what you can find and tell me. We have people’s lives at risk here.”

Stone got up and left in a hurry.

“Incoming transmission.” A robot announced.

A small window opened on the screen with Justin sitting next to Master of Supernatural.

“Director, I was able to get Supernatural out of the Vatican. Man, those guys have some serious defenses.”

Nova had a little smirk. “Trust me, that place has seen its share of crap over the centuries. I expect them to be secure. Did our enemy show themselves?”

“Yes. They attacked, but the Vatican’s defenses repelled them long enough for us to get away. We haven’t seen any sign they’re following us.”

“Good. At least you got away. I still haven’t seen any evidence of Magic and Gar is struggling with Strength as we speak.”

“I’m sure Gar can convince him…”

“You don’t understand. Gar and Strength are fighting. I tried contacting them and I just got the Fight Club’s director.”

Master of Supernatural said, “this is not good. Strength won’t stop fighting until he wins or is defeated. If this fight does not end, it will be near impossible to get him to listen to reason.”

Nova shook his head, “crap. Gar is beyond sturdy. He can fight for days without stopping. He won’t feel pain or fatigue. This is bad.”

Supernatural said, “take me to him. Perhaps I can convince my fellow Avatar to retire his fight and join us for his safety.”

“Be quick, I do not know how these people find your kind so easily, but I doubt there is much time before they’ll be after Strength and you. Get back up here as soon as you can.”

Justin said, “will do, sir.”

***


The snoring animals ignored the presence of other captives in their midst. Dr. Osteen walked down a row of cages, where three individuals were currently being restrained. He stopped at the cage with Master of Mental inside. She had energy beams connected to her head and was in a constant, frozen state of agony. Next to her was a cage holding Tech. They connected his various parts to magnets that created a barrier. The energy, which was his authentic form, traveled between the technical components in a constant movement, never able to settle inside one for long. The last cage held Elemental. He was in a solid block of clear poly-resin, like a bug trapped in amber.

Osteen checked the read-outs on the sensors attached to each cage. He made some notes and then turned and yelled in shock when he almost ran into Delta.

“Report.” Was Deltas response.

Osteen caught his breath. “How the hell are you so quiet? When did you get here?”

“Report?” Delta demanded.

“Fine, sheesh. I’m still gathering data from these specimens. There is so much to learn from them, it would take years to fully uncover what they can teach us. For now, I’m able to derive information to help with Project Neutral.”

Delta looked in at the frozen Master of Elemental. “Is it… dead?”

“No. All the readings show life inside there. How he survives like that, I don’t really know. But there is a lot about these creatures that defy science.”

“Have you been able to get what we need from him?”

“Yes. Inasmuch, I could get the power you wanted to add to Project Neutral. I was just about to apply the final implementation.”

“Good. I want to observe this.” Delta held his hand out, directing Osteen to continue.

They left the captives for another room. This one had a large table on it, with Arx strapped down. Various tubes and cords were attached to his body.

“I really gotta pee.” A voice spoke in their heads.

Delta glared at Arx. “Don’t use mental powers around me without my approval!”

Arx said, “oh, sorry. I’m still getting used to having this power. It’s really cool. But, seriously, I gotta pee.”

Osteen attached yet another cord to Arx. “hold it, this will only take a moment and then you can get off the table.”

“Fine, but I had a ton of pop with lunch and it’s…”

“Shut up.” Delta said.

Osteen checked a computer and placed two vials of liquid into a console attached by those cords. “Okay, ready to go. Activating the morphonic infuser, powering up the genetic splicer. The alteration beam is online. Glasses up!” He put on his dark goggles and Delta merely slipped on his sunglasses.

A large lever activated a bright white beam that hit Arx. Cords and tubes all lit up and poured energy into Arx’s body. Machinery whined and beeped as Arx screamed. Then the light went dark and the machines all quieted down.

“Arx! Are you okay?” Osteen asked.

Arx groaned and then said, “I don’t gotta pee no more.”

Delta shoved Osteen aside and looked at a sensor display. A greedy smile spread across his face. “Perfect, just perfect. These results are exactly what my people are after. Can you duplicate them?”

“I think so, but more tests will need to be made on other subjects.”

Arx pulled those cords and tubes off of him. “What did you guys give me this time?”

“More power.” Delta stated.

“Smartass. I mean what kinda powers, and somebody get me a drink of water, I…” Water came out of the nearby sink and flowed through the air over to him. He held up his hand, and the water became a sphere. “Duuude, did I do that?”

“Yes. Now you have the power of the elements, along with your other powers.” Osteen said as he scanned Arx.

“What else can I do?”

Delta said, “plenty. And, we’re not done. However, for now I have a mission for you, one that will use those new powers of yours.”

Comments
0 Comments