Monday, September 28, 2020

Alternate Art Card: Undulations

 We come to the final winner of the alternate art card. I want to say that the order in which I posted these has nothing to do with who was first or third, I didn't have that designation. Anyway, without further ado, I present the art of  Todd Goode. 

I decided on the name, Undulations, merely because it describes the energetic motion of the image. Todd's use of color drew my eye, I liked how the image makes one feel like he is somehow flying, and yet a fish...man...thing. Of all the coloring pieces I went through, there were many who used this art to create their own interpretation, and gave me fits trying to figure which I felt worked best for a card. In the end, I simply liked the color scheme. Note, be mindful of the color balance with the background, so that it doesn't blend too heavily with the foreground. 







My version of this card brings the figure down to the ocean floor. I was inspired by a request for more aqua themed power cards. Initially, I wanted it to appear that he was mid-transformation. However, the final result feels more like a mer-person. One artistic element on this piece that is a bit more heavily used is layered shadowing. This person has a LOT of tail that wraps around itself. To convey that, I had to make sure the shadows moved in such a way that it gave motion to the whole image. 





Comments
0 Comments