Friday, September 27, 2019

Art Post: Magmaform

The enemy is fleeing from your wrath. Their evil plans have been thwarted, all that remains is either arresting them or ending them, you don't care which. They seal themselves in their lair, large metal doors slam down in your path. Fortunate for you, you can walk right through them like slicing a hot knife through ice. Nothing hinders your movement due to the extreme heat you can muster in your skin. You may not have speed, but you don't fear obstacles.

Say hello to Magmaform. This card started out with several ideas in mind, but ultimately I loved the idea of a lava based power. After I turned this in along with a new batch of artwork for the powers I decided on having the name-a-card contest. I wondered what players would do with this, if they would go with the obvious or choose something unique. I was happy to see a wide variety of ideas for what this power could be. I love to inspire imagination and the players did not disappoint.

About the art itself. Part of the reason I wanted to do this particular art was to try out a technique to make lava. It was fun and a bit trying. After working out the method for making lava skin I had to choose how I would do the rest of him. I liked the idea of the person looking as if he were on the verge of exploding, the calm before the storm you might say. I decided not to have his hair look like a blaze, I already did that in another piece and it was too easy. So I went with the flame color scheme on his eyes, hair, and fingernails, showing the growing heat in him. The wrapping of his hand was a fun contrast, as though he is letting the enemy know that he is willing to hold back, but don't push it. The background is an exploding volcano...kinda obvious. However, the choice to use a effusive eruption instead of just using  lava. Not only did it help set off the figure from the background, it shows great, devastating energy.

So, there you have it, Magma Form, a card named by a player.

(Note: At the time of this posting the card Magmaform is not yet available in the game, but it will be soon.)

Comments
0 Comments