Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Heroes Rising Fiction: Tricking the Trickster Part 15.0

  Director Nova and Gar stepped out of the elevator into the operations center. The open windows on the 

primary screen were still displaying news reports from Earth and footage from around the station. The news reported on League Wars and speculated about the strange orange cloud that approached the planet, but vanished. The video feed from the League Wars Orbital Arena displayed the heroes arriving back from the battle with Spirit.

What Director Nova didn’t find was the reporter. “Chaz? Where are you?”

Just then Chaz stuck his head up from behind the console Nova had assigned him. “Is it safe?”

Nova frowned, “yes. Were you hiding?”

“Um...maybe. You left me here, I heard all this strange noise, and...well...Look, I’m just a reporter here to get an interview. And I had better get it after all this.”

Gar laughed, “hiding behind computers wouldn’t help.”

“It kept me from wetting myself,” Chaz admitted under his breath.

Nova let out a long sigh, “fine. You’ve done more than enough to warrant an interview. But only after we get some of this mess cleaned up. I’ve got a team of repair droids working on the station as we speak, but the operations droids are still out. I could use a hand here, if you don’t mind.”

“As long as nothing is going to kill me, I’m glad to help. Will make a good part of my article.”

“Fine. Just...” A white blur appeared out of nowhere and slammed into Gar.

EB lay flat on his back at Gar’s feet. “Ow.”

Gar frowned, “why did you run into me?”

“I’m not used to people being stone. Normally it doesn’t hurt like that. Oh, Nova, buddy!” He bounced right up and then hopped up and down in front of Nova. “You made it out with less bruises than most. Outstanding work. You’re really good at this. I mean, even I have some nasty bruises under all this fur, and I’m a dang-near immortal legendary creature. You...”

“What do you need?” Nova interrupted.

“Oh, right. Uh, before all this mess began. I talked with our friend down in the holding cell. I think he is part of this plan.”

Nova looked back at Chaz, “Holding cells, now!”

“Holding cells?” Chaz looked at his monitors.

Gar walked over and pushed the droid off the console next to Chaz. He typed in a command. The primary screen displayed the cell where Skelanimal should be. To their great relief, he lay there under a blanket.

“Oh, good. I guess he didn’t escape.”

Gar looked at the computer. “Strange. Power went out in that sector and only just came back on. The robot guards are still down.”

Nova scoffed, “that lazy idiot probably slept through this. Never even saw his opening to escape. But we should check on him.”

“I’ll do it!” EB went to run when the screen flashed on and the award ceremony for League Wars was starting….again. “OOOH, finally. I hear we had quite the upset this year.”

Nova waved a hand, “turn up the sound. I’d like to hear this.”

Chaz obliged, and they all watched the long awaited award ceremony. Hotwings stood at the center of the station with Midgardsormr beside him, as well as the others from his victorious league.


Robot 10915 walked up with an arm full of gold medals. He presented them one at a time to each of these victorious heroes. The announcer spoke for the crowds watching from Earth.

“It is with great pride that we finally get to decorate the victors of Division One of League Wars, WMD Black Order.”

Hotwings took a mic from the robot and spoke as he waved to the crowds. “It is with great pride that we accept this. Our opponents were fierce. I wanted to personally thank The Wizard for both contributing to this battle and for being instrumental in helping defeat the villain Spirit of...”

“ENOUGH OF THIS!” Midgardsormr shoved Hotwings aside....


To Be Continued

Comments
0 Comments